Thursday, August 11, 2011

Alzheimer's Blogging:

My girlfriend was down for ten days and just went home yesterday. She is only 58 yrs old and I have not seen her in eight years. I picked her up from the airport and she was a little over weight from the last time I had seen her. She was full of excitement and so happy be over. I went to work the next day, I work on an ambulance for 24 hrs so when my kids got home from work they kept her company. My daughter called me in a panic. She told me that my girlfriend's head all of a sudden dropped forward with her eyes shut. She could not tell if she was breathing.  In about ten minutes she lifted her head and started talking like nothing  happened. 

We left the next day for California, to go on a cruise. You see she has never been on a cruise ship and I wanted her to have this fun experience. I was so surprised to see how slow she walked and ate. In fact all of her movements were slow, real slow. While we sat and watched a show or a comic she would all of a sudden just drop her head and sleep for a few minutes and than wake up just like my daughter said she saw her do. She did not like to take the stairs to much so we would use the elevators. But once when we did take the stairs, she was walking so slow a young couple asked her if she was alright. Her answer was, "Hey I am doing pretty good for being almost 60 yrs old."  That came as a shock to me, because you see I am only one year younger than her and I feel like I am twenty years younger than her.

I am writing this post as a reminder that you are as young as you want to be. If you are still young in your heart, exercise and stay in shape you  will stay that way. But if you have yourself convinced that once you hit fifty you should be in a rocking chair the rest of your life, you will see your life pass you by.

I jumped out of an airplane when I turned 50 yrs old and enjoyed every minute of it.
Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press An Imprint of James A Rock Pub., Co.
http://www.mariefostino.com/
http://www.mariefostino.blogspot.com/

No comments: