Friday, July 8, 2011

Alzheimer's Blogging:

I thought I would talk more about sun-downing and Alzheimer's. I noticed that in the evening my father in law would be more agitated, walking and wondering around more, like a child looking for something to get into.  So I decided I needed to get creative.  First I decided he didn't need to take naps.  He might of taken some at the day care he went to for the four hours but at home I would find ways to keep him awake.  Sometimes I would take him on long walks around the neighbor hood or we would go to the mall and we would walk the mall. I made sure he got his meals, even when he would eat and later tell me he I didn't feed him. I would play cards with him or give him children puzzles to solve. I tried to keep a routine when it was bed time, by making him go to the bathroom, and walking him to his room and helping him put on his P J's.  I actually would tuck him in bed with the bedsheets tucked in between the mattress and box spring. The light was turned offs, the curtains closed and the door shut. I did keep a baby monitor on in his room so I knew if he was getting up or walking around.

I hope this helps.  Any suggestions?

Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press An Imprint of James A Rock Pub, Co.
http://www.mariefostino.com/
http://www.mariefostino.blogspot.com/ 

No comments: