Sunday, March 6, 2011

ALZHEIMER'S BLOG:

It always feels good when someone asks me questions about a loved one with severe dementia. Here is how the text came: Hi Marie, I have been referred to you for help with my mother-in-law who is getting progressively worse with dementia and we want to continue care for her at home verse an institution.

First I want to remind you all that you are not alone. There is help for you. You need to educate yourself as to what is going on with your loved one and than to the resources around you. One good resource is Alzheimer's Association. http://www.alz.org/index.asp Next they do have a map that will help you find a good support group where ever you live.
http://www.alz.org/index.asp. Alzheimer's Weekly an on line magazine is also very helpful in educating anyone about this disease. http://www.alzheimersweekly.com

As my father in law got worse, weak, no appetite, long naps, not making sense anymore when he talks, I put him on hospice. They were wonderful. A nurse came out once a week to check up on him. I worked two days a week and on those two days an aid came out and bathed him for me. I don't know what I would have done without them. They also gave me the piece of mind I needed so when the day came and he was dying I could handle this at home.

Please find your self a good support group. Also remember if you don't take care of yourself how can you take care of anyone else. So get some respite care. It is not being selfish to take a couple days to your self, it is necessary.

Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press An Imprint of James A Rock Pub., Co.
www.mariefostino.com
www.mariefostino.blogspot.com

No comments: