Monday, February 7, 2011

ALZHEIMER'S BLOGGING:

Good morning,
So I decided to talk today about something that many of us baby boomers don't want to talk about. Forgetfulness. Yes that is an ugly word. We are so frightened of that word. If we are starting to forget does that mean we are getting dementia which can turn into the dreadful Alzheimer's? So I looked up forgetting on Wikipiedia:


Forgetting (retention loss) refers to apparent loss of information already encoded and stored in an individual's long term memory. It is a spontaneous or gradual process in which old memories are unable to be recalled from memory storage. It is subject to delicately balanced optimization that ensures that relevant memories are recalled. Forgetting can be reduced by repetition and/or more elaborate cognitive processing of information. Reviewing information in ways that involve active retrieval seems to slow the rate of forgetting.

I know that when I can't find something I get scared. I took care of my father in law Joe with his Alzheimer's and I begin to wonder if I am getting the same thing.

Forgetfulness can be a normal part of aging. As we get older, changes occur in all parts of the body, including the brain. As a result, some of us may notice that it takes longer to learn new things, we don’t remember information as well as we use to, or we seem to misplace things like our car keys. These usually are signs of mild forgetfulness, not serious memory problems.

We can do things to maintain our memory and mental skills.
Make a to do list.
Plan and put notes on the calendar.
Some form of exercise is needed like walking 30 minutes a day to keep your brain active.
Find ways to relieve stress and depression.
Eat healthy.

On a more personal note, my car is in the shop and I had to use my son in laws car the other day and my daughters car today. I asked where the lights and cruise control were and I remembered when I drove these foreign cars to work. It is the little things that can make or break your day.

Have a great day.
Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press An Imprint of James A Rock Pub., Co.
www.mariefostino.com
www.mariefostino.blogspot.com

No comments: