Tuesday, February 15, 2011

ALZHEIMER'S BLOGGING:

Being a caregiver is a very stressful job. Some of us picked to do this, and some of us this situation just landed in our laps.

RESPITE CARE is what comes to mind. A short term relief for family members taking care of a loved one with Alzheimer's. There are respite programs out there. Some are for a few hours a day and some can be for a whole weekend. The one thing the caretaker has to remember is if they don't take care of them self than how can they take care of anyone else. Some may feel guilty taking a few hours or maybe a weekend away. I personally found that putting my father in law in a day care for four hours a day during the week helped me with my sanity. I really needed that time to be with my children or take a nap and when I picked Joe back up, I felt like I was refreshed.

Loneliness also comes to mind. I found that family members didn't like to come around to see me or Joe. They felt uncomfortable and wanted to remember Joe like he use to be before this terrible disease took over his mind. Please remember the caregiver needs friendship also, so please be there for them.

Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press An Imprint of James A Rock Pub., Co.
www.mariefostino.com
www.mariefostino.blogspot.com

No comments: