Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Alzheimer's Blogging:

Today was a little discouraging on my ambulance as I get this call for a 90 yr old male with severe agitation. I get to the nursing home, and the nurse tells me that my patient is in his wheel chair and is agitated. He won't stay still or stay in his wheel chair so we are to take him to the hospital because they can not manage him. She also tells me she has been giving him ativan every 3 hrs to control him and it isn't working.

Please if you have a loved one with dementia/Alzheimer's educate yourself about this disease. I got this call at eight pm. If you know anything about Alzheimer's they go through something called sun downing.

'Sun downing' is when a person with dementia is particularly restless, confused and insecure in the afternoons and evenings. Some strategies can help a patient and their carer including gentle exercise, routine, comforting items or medication.

I am not sure what they want the emergency room to do with this. And it broke my heart to take him. I was gentle with him, conversing, and taking vitals quickly so I would not agitate him any further. I thought of my father in law, only I kept him at home, and would have to walk away from him if he got me aggravated.

Please check out Alzheimer's Association site. They have lots of information to help educate anyone with this terrible disease. And remember they didn't ask for this disease. Please be kind.

Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press An Imprint of James A Rock Pub., Co.
www.mariefostino.com
www.mariefostino.blogspot.com

No comments: