Sunday, September 12, 2010

ALZHEIMER'S BLOGGING:

Yesterday I talked to my Aunt who lives in Florida with her husband who has this terrible disease. They are both in their eighties, with my Uncle being a couple of years older than her. They have three children and seven grandchildren. My Aunt has her hands full as she takes care of her husband, and still helps her children with their children. She likes to call me sometimes just to talk and vent a little. She hasn't been able to find a good support group and it seems like she has no help taking care of my Uncle. I live in Phoenix, so I am no help to her.

She did share with me about something she did learn about and how it helped her once when her husband went for a walk and got lost. It is called Project Lifesaver. She told me, my uncle wears a ankle bracelet which has a thirty day battery, and a continuous mobile tracking system. I have never heard of them before so I decided I needed to share this today on my blog. Here is the link if you are interested. http://www.projectlifesaver.org/ My Aunt told me they come to her house once a month and change the batteries. She also said it does cost a little but the piece of mind she has from this is worth it.

I hope this helps somebody out there.

Also just a reminder, I do have a team for the Alzheimer's Memory Walk and collecting donations. If you feel you would like to help please hit this link.
http://MemoryWalk2010.kintera.org/faf/r.asp?t=4&i=336218&u=336218-268736349&e=3655472672

Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press An Imprint of James A Rock Pub., Co.
www.mariefostino.com
www.mariefostino.blogspot.com

No comments: