Wednesday, September 1, 2010

ALZHEIMER'S BLOG:

We moved into my father in laws house on September 6, 2002. We watched Dad, talked to Dad and noticed right in front of our eyes, his confusion and dementia. I remember on November 6, just two months later having a deep talk with him and that was when it struck me about him having Alzheimer's. First I asked him simple questions, you know like, what is your name, and how old are you. He was quick to tell me his name and his birthday, but he had no idea how old he was, and he was totally confused as to why I was asking him questions, because he had no idea who I was. I made my parents in law a photo album a few years back and I took it out for the two of us to go through. He enjoyed going through it with me, but he kept asking me the names of the people in it. He was able to point out his wife in a lot of the pictures, and asked me where she was and if they were happy. Jimmy decided it was time to put signs around the house to help dad with his memory. He took white paper and black magic marker with words like, Joe's Chair, Bathroom, Joe's Bedroom and we lived with signs all over the house. At first they helped but as your know Alzheimer's doesn't get better and as he progressed through it, the signs eventually went on the way side.

We were busy with Dad 24 hrs - 7 days a week, and before we got to burned out we found out about respite care. We really needed a break now and then. And I just want to repeat, if you are taking care of a loved one at your house, you do need a break. How can you take care of someone else if you don't take care of your self. It is not self-fish to want to get away for a few hours or a weekend. There is all kinds of respite care. You can find an adult day care so your loved one can be with other people with Alzheimer's and you can have a short rest time. Nursing homes will be glad to give you a short retreat and watch your loved ones for a few days while you get some R&R. Sometimes as a caregiver for Alzheimer's you experience isolation, and frustration. Remember you are not alone. Even though you feel like your world has stopped, the world is still moving and you can to.

Please help us fight against Alzheimer's. http://MemoryWalk2010.kintera.org/faf/r.asp?t=4&i=336218&u=336218-268736349&e=3655472672


I hope I have helped.
Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press An Imprint of James A Rock Pub., Co.
http://www.mariefostino.com/
http://www.mariefostino.blogspot.com/

No comments: