Sunday, September 5, 2010

ALZHEIMER'S BLOG:

It was a beautiful Wednesday, morning April 19, when I ran my two miles, got my kids off to school and went to work at the beauty shop. I already had a patron under the hair dryer and shampooing another head of hair when the beauty shop shook. We didn't understand what had happened and thought we may have had a little earth quake. My boss put on the TV to see the devastating news. The Murrah Federal Building in down town Oklahoma City had just had a bomb attack. Tears filled all of our eyes as we watched the devastation on TV which was only a thirty minute drive from us. Quickly I finished my two ladies hair, and called the rest of my customers to inform them I would not be in the rest of the day. Running to my car, with tears filling my eyes, I made it downtown and with the help of the National Guard, I found a parking place before I ran to help. How discouraging it was to find out they didn't want my help unless I was a Doctor, Nurse or an EMT. I cried for thirty minutes in my car before I drove home to make phone calls to see what I, as a citizen can do to help. Later I found myself, along with others, in boots, coats and face masks cleaning up the destruction of the buildings. The Oklahoma bombing killed 168 people, including 19 children under the age of 6.

This is what made me become a paramedic. I wanted to help people and wanted to make sure no one could tell me NO ever again.

My father in law was a kind, generous and loving person. When I was dating his son, I knew I wanted to be in that family, and Joe was a big reason why. Joe had made an apartment in the basement for us to live in as we started our life together. After we had a child and moved into our own place, Joe would come around, and leave money on the counter top or bring grocery's just to help. Joe had made a big impact on my life, showing me compassion and kindness. When we found out that Dad was getting confused, we decided now it was our turn to give back.

That is why we decided to take care of Dad while he had his Alzheimer's Disease. I wanted to try and give him as normal life as possible and try to give back the love, compassion and kindness he shared with me.

Everyone has their own story. They are all important, and a gift to the world to help others dealing with this devastating disease. If you would like, you can share them with me and I will gladly share them with the readers of this blog.


ere is a link if you would like to get my book http://www.amazon.com/Alzheimers-Caretakers-Journal-Marie-Fostino/dp/1596635622

Here is a link if you would like to help me with my Alzheimer's Memory Walk
http://MemoryWalk2010.kintera.org/faf/r.asp?t=4&i=336218&u=336218-268736349&e=3655472672


Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press An Imprint of James A Rock Pub., Co.
http://www.mariefostino.com
http://www.mariefostino.blogspot.com

No comments: