Thursday, September 2, 2010

ALZHEIMER'S BLOG:

Alzheimer's is such a devastating disease. As the disease progresses the afflicted person moves into a different world than the one in which he lives. For instant Dad didn't know he was living in his home. He thought a lot of time he was at work and wanted to know when he was going home. I found that Dad could tell a sense of approval and disapproval. If I was upset one day, Dad would be upset also. If I was short with him, he would be short with me also.

I found that Dad did not like to take baths. If I would tell him to take a bath he would be very upset with me and of course would not budge. So I had to get inventive. I would fill the bath tub and tell Dad it was now his turn to take a bath. I had a special chair in the tub so he didn't have to sit down on the bottom of the tub. When he finally gave in I would keep the door open a crack to make sure he obeyed. Sometimes he would take off some of his clothes, put water in the sink and wash his face and arms. So I would have to go into the bathroom and help him take off all his clothes, and help place him on the bath chair. All the time he would complain he fought two wars and should not be told what to do.

Taking care of a loved one with Alzheimer's is not an easy job. I found it a rewarding job. I wanted to give back to my father in law the love he had given to me after I married into his family. Sometimes as a caretaker you feel isolated--the world, after all, doesn't stop, despite the sense that your world is frozen in time. I hope that my book will offer comfort to those who find themselves in that world.
http://www.amazon.com/Alzheimers-Caretakers-Journal-Marie-Fostino/dp/1596635622

Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press An Imprint Of James A Rock Pub., Co.
www.mariefostino.com
www.mariefostino.blogspot.com

No comments: