Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Alzheimer's Blogging:

Taking care of a loved one with Alzheimer's is a 24hr 7day a week job. Caregivers are take charge people who get things done. But we often forget to take care of ourselves. I am going back to October 12, 2002.

My son came to visit us today. This Saturday was a good day. We went to see Spiderman at the movies and went out to eat for lunch. After that I helped my Regina get ready for her homecoming dance.

During that time Dad was confused. He asked Jimmy what he (Dad) does at his job, what time he comes in and when does he get paid. Jimmy kept telling Dad that he doesn't work any more; he's is retired and gets a pension check every month. Dad would be quiet for a few moments and start again on the same question. Jimmy got upset and finally told Dad he wasn't talking anymore.

At 11;00 pm everyone was sleeping and I was trying to get Dad to go to bed. He didn't want to go but finally gave in. When we got to his bedroom I told him to give me his clothes and that his pajamas were on his bed. He was already angry and was quite short with me. It was taking him a long time to get undressed. I kept checking on him which made him angrier. Finally he threw his clothes out the door wearing only his pajama top. I reminded him to put his pajama bottoms on.

Dad was making a lot of noise and Jimmy woke up and yelled at Dad through the bedroom door. Then he went into his bedroom and yelled at Dad again from his room. Finally Dad just got into bed and I put his sheets and blankets on him and kissed him goodnight. I told him that I was very sorry.

Poor Jim. He went to bed feeling very frustrated and mad at himself. I told him he had to have patience, that Dad doesn't know what he his doing. And Jimmy said that he hates this disease. He is trying but doesn't understand either.

Check out this link that we did on Channel 3 News last year:
http://www.azfamily.com/good-morning-arizona/Alzheimers-A-Caretakers-Journal--69660012.html

I hope this helps you understand how different every one is and how difficult it can be taking care of your loved one with Alzheimer's.

We are also helping to promote the Alzheimer's Memory Walk. Hit this link if you would like to help us;
http://MemoryWalk2010.kintera.org/faf/r.asp?t=4&i=336218&u=336218-268736349&e=3655472672

Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press An Imprint Of James A Rock Pub., Co.
www.mariefostino.com
www.mariefostino.blogspot.com

No comments: