Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Alzheimer's Blogging:


Here's some fascinating research out of NYI linking gum disease (yes, gum disease) with Alzheimer's.

New evidence from NYUCD supports link between gum inflammation and Alzheimer's disease
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2010-08/nyu-nef080310.php

This makes me think of when I took care of my father in law, I made him brush his teeth everyday. It is a funny thing to say, but with this terrible disease he would not think about doing the everyday hygiene duties that we take for granted. Sometimes it was like pulling teeth to get him to shower, shave and brush his teeth. I had to get creative, and finally make a morning routine of shower and shaving before I gave him breakfast so that he would understand, when he got clean and dressed he would get breakfast. I know this is hard for you. But I want you to know you are not alone. My prayers are with you.

Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press An Imprint of James A Rock Pub., Co.
www.mariefostino.com
www.mariefostino.blogspot.com

No comments: