Tuesday, August 31, 2010

ALZHEIMER'S BLOG:

OK so as I said yesterday, keeping active is essential for people with Alzheimer's. One of the first things I did when I moved into my father in laws house was take him to the Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago. It was a beautiful sunny day. I think that is the only Zoo that I know of that is free except to park. We had rented a wheel chair for a month at home so I brought it with me. My father in law complained that I had brought the chair but gladly sat on it when we arrived. One thing I love about this Zoo is how the tall city buildings outlined the Zoo. But then I am prejudice when it comes to Chicago. We had a nice morning as I pushed him around the park until his stomach started to get hungry. He instantly started to complain about everything I was doing and wanted to go home. So we got some burgers and parked under an umbrella and ate. Of course then he had to go to the bathroom, and I was lucky enough to find some nice gentleman to help him with that. Next I wheeled him across Lake Shore Drive to the beach and down the strip. What a feeling of being alive and free as the wind gazed our faces and the sound of the waves thundered. It was a nice afternoon, but I am not sure dad enjoyed it as much as I did. It may have been to much for him because he did get unusually frustrated that evening. Maybe I kept him there to long. But it was a learning lesson for me. I just wanted to give to him the love and support he had given to me and I wanted him to have as normal of a life as possible while enduring this terrible disease. Taking care of a loved one at home with Alzheimer's Disease is a 24 hr 7 day a week job. It is not an easy task, and yes you will get frustrated with yourself as you find yourself sometimes getting aggitated. But there is also a feeling of comfort and joy knowing that you provided your loved one with the compassion and love that they once had shown you.

Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press An Imprint of James A Rock Pub., Co.
www.mariefostino.com
www.mariefostino.blogspot.com

No comments: