Monday, August 30, 2010

ALZHEIMER'S BLOG:

Keeping active is essential for people with Alzheimer's Disease. As this terrible disease progresses their habits and routines are forgotten. So as the caregiver our job is to help reinstate their life as normal as possible. There are different ways you can do this. You may want to play a game, go on a outing, or even exercise so the person with Alzheimer's can feel more vital. These activities offer benefits to the caregiver also by letting you do something enjoyable with your loved one with this terrible disease. Here are a few helpful hints to help you choose some kind of therapeutic activities:

-- Individualize activities to draw on past interests and skills
--Choose activities that recall a person's former occupation
--Stimulate the 5 senses (sight, hearing, taste, touch, smell) as much as possible
--Use existing physical skills
--Help the person with Alzheimer's disease by initiating the activity
--Ensure that activities are voluntary
--Select intergenerational activities
--Choose activities that are appealing to you and the person with Alzheimer's disease
--Keep activities short
--Use even the smallest things as an activity

I remember with my father in law, this was very new to me. I wanted to keep him busy, heck, I wanted to take the Alzheimer's away from him. I thought I was so smart keeping plastic cups and plates in the sink for him to wash over and over again, or the basket of towels I kept in the living room for him to refold. I kept taking him out to lunch with his sister in laws, hoping he was still in a familiar routine. I was wrong. Alzheimer's took him away from me anyway. But I was helping to keep his mind maybe a little bit longer and I was definitely enjoying the time we had together. One of my favorite times was in the afternoon as we would dance to Richard Simmons.

I hope this helps. This is such a terrible disease. Please help with the Memory Walk by you or please donate to my site:
http://MemoryWalk2010.kintera.org/faf/r.asp?t=4&i=336218&u=336218-268736349&e=3655472672 Let's fight together!!

Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press An Imprint of James A Rock Pub., Co.
www.mariefostino.com
www.mariefostino.blogspot.com

No comments: