Sunday, July 4, 2010

Alzheimer's Blogging:

Happy 4th of July. I don't remember my parents really celebrating this holiday when I grew up, but I remember the first time I saw fireworks. I was 19 and married. I remember after that the churches always having a patriotic special going on during our services about our country's freedom and the church decorated in red, white and blue. I made it a habit to bring my children to watching the fireworks from then on. I loved to listen to the patriotic music as the sky blew up in beautiful colors. I still get goosebumps today as I listen to patriotic music and watch fireworks.

I am unfortunately working today, but I am not complaining. It is job security and someone has to be out there for the fools who try to light firecrackers while in their bare hands. I hope I won't have any sad stories to tell you tomorrow. It is hot here in Sunny Phoenix, and we are to be stationed at Tempe Town Lake. This is a college town and will be full of partying people. I do hope they don't drink to much and don't play hard. The only nice part is I will get to see the fire works while I am on duty.

When I was taking care of Joe, I don't remember taking him to see the fireworks. I missed them that year. It was hard to take him out, and someplace full of people roaming around where he could get lost was not a choice. I do remember taking him to see the parade and when ever he saw a soldier he would stand up and salute. I just loved that man.

Memories are a wonderful thing to have. I love going through the memories in my mind of the good times I had with Joe. One thing I can say about my head is I do think more of the good times instead of the bad times. I also keep pictures which I would recommend to people to do. I have albums of pics from my husbands second date till now. When I look through them, the event comes alive in my head again, and I can hear the conversations and almost smell the food.

Remember life is a gift. So enjoy the gift you have been given. Think positive, be polite and show the love that God had given to you.

Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press An Imprint of James A Rock Pub., Co.
www.mariefostino.com
www.mariefostino.blodspot.com

No comments: