Sunday, June 27, 2010

Alzheimer's Blogging:

I live in sunny Phoenix, Az and the weather is hot. I work on an ambulance and when we sit and drive to post to different places our vehicle does not cool off very well. But I do the job because I love my patients. Especially my elderly ones. The people with Alzheimer's and Dementia. Sometimes I feel like they are misunderstood. I know how angry they can get or how violent they can be. I also know how sweet they are.

I took care of my father in law until he died with his Alzheimer's. He was such a good man before Alzheimer's took over his mind. He was kind, and considerate. My children use to love when grandpa would come over for a few weeks every year. You see he lived in the Chicago area and we moved around a lot. We lived in Oklahoma, Texas, Indiana, and Maryland. Yet my father in law would come by to visit us for a few weeks, and help us out around the house.

I am writing today because I have read a few posts from some concerned people about their loved ones in faculties that they are not happy with. It breaks my heart but you do have to keep looking until you find the right place. I just want to give you and FYI. It is important to keep a folder and any information that is about your loved one make sure you get a copy of it. I don't care if it is about new medication and why. Or a doctors visit. You need to have all his medical history written down, and any medication he is on along with his allergies. If he had any labs taken make sure you get a copy of it for your records.

You are doing the best you can. So make sure you also get respite care and a good support group. Check out Alzheimer's Association for a support group in your area. If you don't take care of yourself how can you take care of your loved one. God Bless You.

Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press An Imprint of James A Rock Pub., Co.
www.mariefostino.com
www.mariefostino.blogspot.com

No comments: