Sunday, June 13, 2010

ALZHEIMER'S BLOGGING:

Being a grandparent is so much work, fun and rewarding. We took five of our grandchildren on a camping trip. One of my kids came with, thank heavens, because it would have been hard to watch the kids while putting up three tents. Giggle. Putting up the tent, going on a hike, going on a hayride, a fire and roasting marshmallows was the most fun. It brought back some wonderful memories.

When my kids were young we use to go camping with my father in law Joe. He was a handy man and could do anything. Thank heavens because Jimmy had trouble putting up our tent and didn't have a lot of patience. Joe helped him and showed him what to do. As I watched Jimmy putting up the tent I gone years ago when Joe was alive and putting up the tent for my kids.

Joe helped us with our campfire and showed us how to help our children with roasting the marshmallows for the smores. HEHE We did this with our grandchildren showing my daughter what to do, and trying to explain to these small ones that fire is dangerous. We had a seven yr old, four year old, two- two yr olds and 14 yr old.

The hardest part of Alzheimer's is when the loved one forgets us. Joe didn't know who we were. He gave me the nick name of "lady" and he some how knew I was taking care of him. But in my memories he is still alive. He was with us in spirit when we took the grandchildren camping.

Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press An Imprint of James A Rock Pub., Co.
www.mariefostino.com
www.mariefostino.blogspot.com

No comments: