Sunday, April 18, 2010

Alzheimer's blogging: alzheimersblogging:

Good Morning,
Do you ever stop and just talk to people. I mean you look at someone, see something about them you like, and decide to tell them. Call me crazy but I people watch. Yesterday, I noticed a cute elder women walking in Walmart with her gray hair up in a french braid with a cute bow on it. She was dressed in a skirt and blouse which was nicely tucked in a pair of low heals. She caught my eye noticing that she must be in her late 70's or early 80's and how nice she was taking care of herself. So of course I had to go and tell her how beautiful she looked. I walked up to her, put my hand on her back and accidentally frightened her. After my apologies, I went on to tell her how pretty she looked and her eyes shown up to me with a lot of appreciation. She than proceeded to tell me about her life, how they were in Germany and had to get away because people were getting killed and finally ended up in Seattle, Washington. She told me how she met a man later in life but he didn't want to get married because he had been married twice before and those women took him for everything he had. Eventually they did get married and she had a son. Her face softened up as she talked and she talked so freely like she had not been talking to any one in a long time. I guess I am writing this because the elderly have a lot to say, but can get pretty lonely. No one really take the time to sit with them and listen to their great stories. Please if you have a loved one, or a neighbor, or maybe see someone in the next pew up at church. Say hi, get a cup of coffee, and let them talk. They have a lot to say and are very interesting, and they will appreciate the conversation, because they are lonely.

Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press An Imprint Of James A Rock Pub., Co.
www.mariefostino.com
www.mariefostin.blogspot.com

No comments: