Thursday, March 11, 2010

Alzheimer's Blogging:

One of the things about Alzheimer's patients is how their mind forgets. After I moved in with my father in law, I took it upon myself to try to make him as normal life as possible. We had to watch as his memory was getting lost more and more each day. At first he was able to do the little things that we take for granted, but as time went on he forgot how to do them. He would tell me that he had never done them before. So in the morning I would fill his bathtub with water, and place a clean washcloth and a bar of soap there. I would take out any bottles of shampoo and creme rinse so that he would not mistaken them for his soap. After he took off his clothes and jumped into the tub, I would take his dirty clothes out and place in a clean towel. When he got out of the tub, I would help dry him off and give him his clean underwear. Next I would put tooth paste on his tooth brush and he would brush his teeth. Then I would put shaving creme on his face and he would shave. I would lead him to his bedroom and have his clean pants and shirt on his bed. Sometimes he would get them mixed up and try to put the shirt on his legs. He seemed to always have trouble putting on his socks. I know this seems like a lot of work, but to me it was just life. He tried to take care of himself as much as possible and my goal was to try and keep his mind as long as I could. Just remember that to this world you are but one person, but to this one person you are their world.

Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press An Imprint of James A Rock Pub., Co.
www.mariefostino.com
www.mariefostino.blogspot.com

No comments: