Sunday, February 21, 2010

ALZHEIMER'S BLOGGING:

I had been writing down in a journal just to keep track of how Dad was progressing. We had moved into my father-in-laws home and Jimmy wasn't doing very well with this situation. Dad told Jimmy he wanted us to take him home, and told us he liked it here with us but he needed to check on his house. At first Jimmy was calm talking to Dad, telling him that this was his home. But the conversation did not end and Jimmy now was arguing with Dad. Jimmy felt defeated and finally admitted that he has to learn just to agree with Dad. He finally realized that he could not change Dad's mind or make him understand.

The next day the same thing happened and Dad wanted us to take him home. So I took him for a ride in the car to show him his home. After we drove up the street, I asked Dad if anything looked familiar. Dad said,"Yes, I live around here. Hey, my house is around here. Where are we going?"

I explained to him that he wanted to find his house so I was going to show it to him. He replied that he knows where he lives and he never said such a thing. I drove up the driveway, and Dad told me he lives here and seemed agitated.

I hope this helps you as you find yourself in a incident where you feel defeated, confused, agitated, and very alone. Remind yourself this is the disease and not your loved one.

Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press An Imprint Of James A Rock Pub., Co.
www.mariefostino.com

No comments: