Friday, February 26, 2010

ALZHEIMER'S BLOGGING:

How has this disease affected you?

Going back into time I remember one day when my father in law asked my husband what he (dad) did for a living. Jimmy told him that he was retired and receives a pension check every month. Dad shook his head and seemed to be alright with that answer. But about ten minutes later my father in law asked Jimmy to tell him when he (dad) goes to work and when does he come home? Jimmy told him that he doesn't go to work anymore. Dad looked puzzled and Jimmy told him again that he was retired and receives pension checks. Unfortunately that went on for a couple of hours.

Later that night we were all in bed, yet I heard dad up. I told him that it was bed time and that he had to go to bed. It was around eleven pm at night. I gave him his pajamas to put on but dad was being stubborn. He was angry with me, and quite short with me. He took a long time to put his pajamas on and getting angry with me because I kept checking up on him. He was getting noisy and yelling at me, and Jimmy finally had enough. He went into the room and yelled at his father. Dad just got into bed, I put the sheets and blankets on him and he went to sleep. But poor Jimmy was feeling very frustrated and mad at himself.

This disease can take a lot out of you, and show a side of you that you didn't know you had. I would love to hear your stories. Please comment :)

Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press An Imprint Of James A Rock Pub., Co.
www.mariefostino.com

No comments: