Sunday, February 28, 2010

ALZHEIMER'S BLOG:

So how has this disease changed you?

Today on my truck, I had a call for an 88 yr old female who was having high blood pressure. It was pretty high, 196/119. When we took her vitals and put her on our monitor her heart rate was also high at 150 bpm. She was a sweet lady and she told me she just had a pacemaker put in around Christmas Time. She also told me that she just took a nitro to try and lower her blood pressure. She was worried about having a stroke. We packaged her up, transferred her to our gurney and got her to the hospital. Nice part about this call is as we were leaving for the hospital her heart rate and her blood pressure came down.

My question is why is it that this pretty elderly lady is lucky enough to have her own mind and take care of herself at age 88 when my father in law couldn't take care of him self at 76. My grandmother is 99 yrs old and she can take care of her self. What was it that she did different than my father in law. And what about me or my husband. What does our future have in store for us. Alzheimer's is such a terrible disease. I have to admit this disease scares me. I want to know who my children and grandchildren are as I grow old. What are your thoughts?

Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press An Imprint Of James A Rock Pub., Co.
www.mariefostino.com

No comments: