Monday, January 4, 2010

ALZHEIMER'S BLOGGING:

Well as you might know I work on an Ambulance as my daily job. I prefer doing what is called GT (general transport). That means instead of going to car accidents I like going to nursing homes. I just have a soft heart for old people. But in dealing with that I also have people coughing on me, throwing up on me, and sneezing on me. So wouldn't you know it, last night in the middle of the night my body decided to get sick. You see, on an ambulance we work different kind of shifts. We work 24 hrs at a time. Why? Because you never know when someone is going to call us to help somebody. We have an apartment which we call a station to live in during that time. And after we clean our ambulance, apartment, and stock up we have time if permits to watch TV or sleep.

This last week of working I have had some pretty sick people to take care of. They have the flu, or common cold, and I am picking them up and bringing them to the hospital. Needless to say, in the middle of the night last night as I was taking a nap, I woke up with a sore throat. Feels like cotton in my throat, and coughing, and runny nose.

The poor Alzheimer's pt has no idea that they are sick. They don't complain, and you have to keep an eye on them to make sure that they are drinking fluids, and not running a fever. I remember with my father in law, watching him walk up and down the halls praying to Mother Mary. When I got him to the doctor I found out he was in a lot of pain. That he needed a new hip. But dad could not tell me that. He never complained of being in pain, he just walked slowly down the hall, holding on to the wall, praying.

You have to have a six sense when watching your loved one with Alzheimer's. You have to try and stay one step ahead of them, anticipating their wants and needs. It is not an easy job, but it is a wonderful compassionate job. Just remember that life is a gift and we need to make every second count. I am here if you need to talk to someone.

Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
An Imprint of James A Rock Pub., Co.
www.mariefostino.com

No comments: