Sunday, January 10, 2010

ALZHEIMER'S BLOGGING:

Happy Sunday, and what a great way to start the week but by going to church. My job puts me on a rotating schedule so I get to have Sundays off for six weeks and than work for three. To me when I don't get to go to church the weeks seem to blend together. But the weeks I get to go to church, each week is new and refreshing.

While taking care of my father in law, I made it a habit of taking him to church. He was Catholic but I am Baptist, so I brought him to a Baptist Church. When I first moved in I was not sure as to how confused he was. We were on a learning curve, learning about each other. I had found his routine was to have coffee in the morning and than snooze in his chair. It was our first Sunday morning, when dad got up and I gave him his coffee, I told him we were going to church. He seemed to be agreeable. I had his clothes laid out on his bed. I waited for him to get ready, and when he came out of his bedroom, he had changed his shirt, but not his pants. The carpet was wet by the side of his bed, and smelled like urine. I asked him why he didn't change his pants and he told me he didn't see any. We could not find his shoes, so I put his slippers on him. I figured that God didn't care if he smelt a little and Dad seemed so thankful to be at church.

Difficulty performing familiar tasks is a symptom of Alzheimer's. Dad was having difficulty with finding his pants, putting them on, and finding the restroom.

Maybe if you have had a similar situation you may want to share. Write me. I am trying to share personal information so that you may know that you are not alone. Remember that to the world you are but one person, but to that one person, you are their world.

Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretaker Journal
Seaboard Press An Imprint Of James A Rock Pub., Co.
www.mariefostino.com

No comments: