Friday, January 29, 2010

ALZHEIMER'S BLOG:

Well I have the last couple days off from working, so I have been baby sitting my grandchildren. (one of my favorite things to do) I am trying to potty train my 2 yr old granddaughter. She has figured out that if she wants off the potty chair she has to pee in it, but if I don't make her sit on it, she can't figure out yet how it feels when you have to go. Also I have my 9 month old who is crawling all over the place.

This brings back memories when my daughter Kristina came to town for my son's wedding and brought her baby boy. He was only a couple of months old and we were not sure how Dad was going to react. Dad just sat there watching this child as we all cooed all over him and when he would cry and we would take care of him. Kristina showed Damien to Dad and put him in his lap. Dad stayed very still while holding Damien, smiling. For those few moments Dad seemed like a different person. We tried to explain to Dad that Kristina was his grandchild and that the baby belonged to her, so Damien was hid great grand child. Dad would smile and nod his head but I'm sure he did not understand what I was telling him. Finally he looked up and put his arms forward, trying to let us know that we should take the baby now. It hurts to know that Dad will never got to enjoy his great grandchildren.

Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press An Imprint Of James A Rock Pub., Co.
www.mariefostino.com

No comments: