Saturday, January 30, 2010

ALZHEIMER'S BLOG:

It has been a nice day on the ambulance today. We walked into a nursing home to see a lot of wheel chairs in a circle in the big living room with someone reading the paper to everyone there. Some were listening, and some were sleeping. As I walked to the nursing station I saw a women sitting in her wheel chair sitting in a corner by her self, talking to her self. Next we were to get a 69 yr old female that fell out of bed and they wanted her to have an x-ray. This patient did not want to go. I had to prove to the nursing home that she was with it, knew her name, birthday, where she lived and that I would be kidnapping if I took her against her will. So finally the nursing home decided to have a portable x-ray to come to faculty to take her x-ray.

Next I have a 82 yr old male who has a permanent Foley cath and it is leaking, so he wants a doctor to put in a new one. He does have cancer, and swollen ankles. Walks real slow, but such a nice man with such a great personality. Took his vitals and his pulse which was only 43 bpm. So I did what I usual do, IV, ECG monitor, pulse ox. He took it all like a trooper. Only I was disappointed when the hospital didn't seem to take his pulse seriously. I am hoping that the doctor will look at more than his cath.

I don't remember anyone telling me that it hurts to get old. I always grew up thinking that when I got old I would retire and see the world. I never thought about your health keeping you down. Remember that it is important to exercise, eat healthy, and keep your mind going so that you can enjoy these golden years.

Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press An Imprint of James A Rock Pub., Co.
www.mariefostino.com

No comments: