Monday, January 11, 2010

ALZHEIMER'S BLOG:

I remember one evening when dad was going through his sun downers. He was of course confused as to where he was and what he was doing. He was asking us to take him home, and of course we told him he was home. Than dad asked me where he was suppose to sleep. So I carefully walked him down the hall to his bedroom, (which had been his bedroom for years), and when he walked inside he asked me if I had anything for him to wear. I opened his dresser and took out his pajamas. I asked him if I could help him get dressed and he yelled NO! So I politely left his room, and quietly shut his door. I waited about ten minutes before I knocked on his door to see if he was alright or if I could help him. He did not answer. I walked in and found him with his pajama top on sitting and starring out into space. I called out his name but got no response. I took his hands and asked him to squeeze them, but still no response. His pupils were constricted and he just starred. I kept talking to him, holding his hands when all of a sudden, he made eye contact, and smiled. Than he told me he didn't know what he was suppose to do. He let me help him put his pajamas on and tuck him into bed. I kissed him goodnight, and he smiled and told me I was kind.

I think dad had a TIA which is an Transient Ischemic Attack. This is when the blood supply to part of the brain is briefly interrupted. It is also know as a warning stroke or a mini stroke with no lasting damage. I am sure that this event did not help his Alzheimer's, but he did not have any stroke like symptoms or lasting damages from this event. I am probably lucky to have seen it. I was only out of his room for ten minutes, so imagine how many times something like this can happen and not be witnessed. I hope this helps. May God bless you and your loved one with this awful disease.

Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press An Imprint of James A Rock Pub., Co.
www.mariefostino.com

No comments: