Thursday, December 31, 2009

Alzheimer's Blog

This has been an eventful day. As I was working today, I got the pleasure of going to an airport to pick up a 87 yr old male with history of dementia along with pneumonia, chronic low b/p going to a nursing / rehab home. I was glad that I got to pick him up because I notice that a lot of people don't know how to talk or act with a person with this terrible disease. You know the saying, this is your space and this is mine, but I know how to have compassion and go into their space with a hug or a kiss on the cheek to make them feel at home. It was so good to see his daughter get off the plane with him. But my heart really jumped for joy when I saw his wife and son waiting at the nursing home for him. I hope that rehab happens fast and he can go home soon. Nothing against nursing homes, but I find that people seem to lose all hope when they find them selves there. People need a purpose in life to go on.

It is New Years Eve, and the moon is so big and beautiful. I am lucky enough that I don't have to work until midnight tonight, and am looking forward to spending the evening with my kids and husband.

A good point tonight is to try to help your loved one with Alzheimer's to find a purpose to live. It could be as simple as washing the dishes or folding the towels. I use to keep a sink full of plastic dishes in soapy water for my father in law to wash when ever he felt like it. I also kept a basket of towels ready for him to fold at any given time. Be creative, and remember, be an angel and practice random acts of kindness. Let me know if I am helping you at all.

Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press An Imprint of James A Rock & Pub.
www.mariefostino.com

No comments: