Sunday, March 15, 2009

Good Sunday afternoon,
I want to share with you an experience I had on Friday. I had a patient to take care of and as I looked at him, and watched his body movements and his facial expressions I was seeing my father in law all over again. We were bringing him to an nursing home in California from Phoenix. He was scared, and very confused. Of course we had to strap him on our gurney and thank heavens we have a top harness strap, because he managed to wiggle his legs free. He was able to tell me his name but told me he was 7 yrs old. When I asked him if he knew where he was, he told me NO and told me not to tell him so he wouldn't be scared. He held on to my hands for the whole trip. At one point he did get a little aggressive, and put on that scary ugly face with hatred, and grabbed my hands trying to hurt them, and trying to get loose. But that is part of Alzheimer's and I just watched him and continued holding his hands till he settled down. I hope that I comforted him through the trip. He at one time had a Foley in, but I was told he pulled it out him self. I know that it had to hurt, but he had no idea what he was doing. He also had a feeding tube in. I wonder how many times he tried to pull that out. I was so happy that I got to be the one to take care of him. I watched his face as he moved his head back and forth, looking around in wonderment. I would whisper in his ear if he was alright, and he would smile back at me. Just remember that to the world you are just one person, but to one person you may be the world.
Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press an Imprint of James A Rock & Co., Pub.
www.mariefostino.com

No comments: