Monday, December 8, 2008

December 9, 2002

This Monday morning began with Dad yelling at 3:00 a.m. frm his bedroom that he's, "O.K. and cleaning it up." I jumped out of bed to see what was wrong. It was obvious that he'd had an "accident." He propped a chair on his bedroom door to keep us out. Even ourside the door, I smelled the wonderful aroma of his bowel movement. I asked him if I could help.

He was adamant, however, and said he'd clean it up himself. It was 3 a.m. and I was too tired to fight, so I went back to bed. Then, at 5 a.m., Dad leaves the bedroom and starts down the hall. I make him go back to bed and tuck him in but at 6 a.m. my daughter up and vomiting in the bathroom.

Finally, at 8:00, Dad is up. He is upset with me because I am going to make him take a bath. "You know," he said, "I took one yesterday and I fought two wars and I am a grown up!" Finally, I got him in the bathroom with clean clothes. I am waiting, but I don't hear him splashing in the bath water I drew for him. I look inside and he is standing by the bathroom sink with his head and neck full of soap. Of course, I told him he must get into the bathtub and he says that he is leaving because I am bothering him. I did manage to get his nasty clothes and sheets and put them in the washing machine.

I am not venting, just telling how the week is starting.

But with a smile on my face, I love taking care of this man. I wish he wouldn't get so upset with me, but I know he doesn't mean it.

Hope you enjoyed this entry. It does bring back memories, of a man I love and will always cherish in my heart. I hate what this diesase did to him. But the memories of him the many years before is what gave me the strenght and love to care for him. Thank you God for giving me the chance to try and give him some of what he gave me all those years. I know that it is holiday time, and it is hard to keep Christmas alive while your loved one has Alzheimer's. Keep praying. Look for Respite care for a needed break. Also try to find a support group.

Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretaker's Journal
Seaboard Press An Imprint Of James A. Rock & Co., Pub
www.mariefostino.com

No comments: