Monday, December 15, 2008

December 14,2002

My husband, Jimmy, stayed with Dad yesterday and spent the night. I got off work at about 5 a.m. and went to the hospital. I was told that Dad was to be released by 9 a.m. and that the doctor wanted to talk to us. The doctor wants to put Dad in rehab. in a nursing home. I am fighting him about it because, although Dad can follow directions, he doesn't remember anything for more than five minutes ago. What good will a nursing home do but depress him and make him worse?

It is now 10 a.m. and the doctor is still not here and I am getting crabby. I just got off of a 13-hour, all-night shift and I want to go home and get some sleep. I went to the nurses' station and asked when the doctor is coming in but they could not tell me.

I explained that I was told he would be here at 9 o'clock. I had a lot to do, I worked all night and I was tired. They promised to page him. I gave them 15 minutes and went back to the desk. They said the doctor didn't answer the page.

Finally, I told them that I was taking Dad home now. I said I'd sign the papers saying I understood that this was against his doctors orders. The nurses got very upset and called the supervisor. I went back to the room to get Dad dressed and a few minutes later the phone rang. It was one of his doctors asking if I could wait about an hour for him to get there and release Dad. I told him I was leaving at 11:15, whether he showed up of not.

Finally, at 10:45, one of the doctors arrived and by 11:00 the other doctor showed up. Then the therapy people arrived and by the time we got all the paperwork done, it was noon before we were able to leave.

Dad was getting antsy and wanted out of there. We were not moving fast enough. When the P.T. people came in to help get him in his wheelchair, it seemed like it took him forever and all he did was argue. He wanted out and was very upset because we weren't moving fast enough.

I was told that Medicare was going to supply us with a walker and a raised commode. Someone from rehab will come by a couple of times a week and social services are supposed to come to see what we need. I am so glad that they are going to work with us.

Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year
Hope you have enjoyed reading some of my book.
Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press An Imprint Of James A. Rock & Co., Pub.
www.mariefostino.com

No comments: