Saturday, October 18, 2008

Good Evening,
On page 53 of my book I have it titled 'SAD THINGS ABOUT ALZHEIMER'S'

He sits in a chair, confused, not sure what he is suppose to do.

When you come into a room, he says "Hi" just as though this is the first time he's ever seen you

Sometimes he pretends that he knows you but you know it's an act...

He takes the phone and calls the same number over and over again.

He writes a phone number on a sheet of paper over and over again.

He is forever asking, "When can he go home?"

He forgets how to dial the phone.

He can no longer do simple tasks he's done all his life like make coffee.

He doesn't know or recognize relatives.

He can still tell time, but gets a.m. and p.m. mixed up.

He still thinks he has a regular job.

He wants to know when he gets paid and when he can clock off for the night.

He repeats himself over and over again.

When you think he finally understands something, five minutes later you must start all over again.

He often wants to argue and refuses to listen.

Today was a hard day, as I was at the Memory Walk in the West Vally in Sun City, Az. As I listened to the entertainment and had the sign around my neck about the one I was walking for I couldn't help but cry. It is funny how you can put some feelings away for a while, hoping that the pain is gone. But when it is quiet and you think about the past, the pain comes back. I truly miss my father in law. Not the last two years as much as the man he was before the disease took him from me. It is a wonderful feeling that there is people out there fighting to get rid of this terrible disease. Have a great weekend.
Sincerely,
Marie Fostino
Alzheimer's A Caretakers Journal
Seaboard Press An imprint of J. A. Rock & co., Pubs
www.mariefostino.com


No comments: